Advanced Driving Skills
What is Advanced Driving?
Advanced driving is a standard of driving based on concentration, observation, anticipation and planning. It is a way of driving which is safe, thoughtful and methodical. By being more observant advanced drivers are better at anticipating changes in the surrounding conditions and they are able to plan their driving to deal with unexpected circumstances.
The basis of Advanced Driving is the 'System of car control' as detailed in Roadcraft – The Police Driver Handbook. A good knowledge of the current editions of The Highway Code and Roadcraft will be needed to gain a high grade in the assessment.
What does it involve?
- Controlling the position and speed of the vehicle safely.
- Making reasonable progress by using road and traffic conditions.
- Good handling skills and co-ordination.
- Ensuring the vehicle is in the correct place on the road and travelling at a speed with the appropriate gear engaged whilst being able to stop safely within the distance that can be seen to be clear.
Benefits of becoming an advanced driver
- Better driving standard.
- Improved personal safety.
- Increased confidence when driving.
- More enjoyment of driving.
- Save money.
Ready to advance your skills? Call Ian on 07932 070 840.